After making Clancy in Clay with the restrictions of following the photographs, I felt like making something a little looser without restrictions.
Creating dogs out of clay from photos stresses me out. I’ve procrastinated making this one for at least a month. When I began to think of it as a cartoon in clay, I finally relaxed and was able to make it. It needs to dry a couple days before I turn it upside down and hollow it out. I’ve never done the complete dog, body and all, before. I’ve only done just the head, some for hanging on the wall, others for sitting on a table, some with stands, others for sitting on their own. I did a series of them as candle holders also. Making the entire dog presents its own problems of proportion without letting the size of the dog get out of hand. Next comes painting it. Here are the photos I worked from.
This is the chocolate dog from a previous post. When I started painting the darker brown highlights on top of the chocolate, it just didn’t do anything for me so I’ve opted to paint it more like the one I just finished but with lighter colored eyes.
They’re always kind of strange looking at this stage in the painting process.