Painting this guy proved to be an unexpected challenge.
I demolded the concrete little Labrador hanging statue just now. It turned out fine (Lab in the lower right corner). I’m going to try a new cement next that is supposed to cure faster. It would be nice to be able to take a casting out of the mold after a day instead of 4 or 5 days. For some unknown reason I find this photo a little surreal.
The last couple of Lab sculptures I made leaned toward realism so I felt like cutting loose with this one. It’s a work in progress. I need to let it sit for a bit while I decide what needs to be tweaked before smoothing out all of the tool marks.
I’ve also noticed that when casting in concrete as opposed to painting them with acrylics, much of the facial expression is revealed by the shadows the creases and wrinkles cast.